Chuck Stewart, Ph.D.
I’m impressed at how LAGPA has changed and grown these past few years. Considering that LAGPA essentially folded about 5 years ago, we now have more active members than at anytime in the past eleven years and a board with nine very active members—which again is more than we have ever had. Social events are larger than ever, the annual Conference has grown to almost 100 attendees, and members report many more client referrals coming from our online directory. Directing Moonslice to rebuild out website two years ago has paid off. More than 12,000 unique visits are made each month to our website driving many more potential clients to our membership. Advertisers and sponsors also report an uptick in traffic.
There are a couple of ongoing projects in which many of you may be interested. We are resurrecting the committee structure for operating LAGPA. Our Bylaws specify particular committees but our small size has prevented this from happening. Now with our increased size, you too can participate at whatever level you feel comfortable. Here is what we need. Come join the fun.
It has become apparent that the membership structure of the organization is not flexible enough and does not sufficiently support the online directory. Come help us rethink our membership structure and develop ways to attract new members.
- Education: We have scheduled Larry Hedges to conduct a “Law and Ethics” workshop in August. It would be good to schedule a few more educational events this year. Help us develop programs of interest to our professional members.
- Social: This is always a fun committee. Besides the annual pool party and winter social, it is thought smaller potluck events may be fun and help build membership. Come with your ideas to increase thesocial interactions of our members.
- Conference: The annual conference is a big undertaking. It is very rewarding to work with professionals at many colleges. In particular, we are looking for people who have personal contacts with departments of psychology, social work, and education at Phillips Graduate Institute, UCLA, CSU Northridge, CSU LA, and others. Can you introduce us to these people? Please let us know.
- Newsletter: Our quarterly newsletter is looking for those special people who like to create organizational newsletters. If you have one or two hours a month to spare, the quarterly newsletter needs dedicated individuals to follow up with ads and classifieds to ensure current and up-to-date information, and to solicit new advertisers. Come bring your talents.
- Outreach (including Booths): Last year we hosted booths at CAMFT, LACPA, and CPA. It is always fun; a great way to meet people and have fun at the same time. Come join this committee.
We are also revisiting our Bylaws. They were written in 1992 and sorely need to be updated. Please contact Chuck Stewart about which committees you would like to volunteer. Remember, LAGPA can only grow through the help of volunteers..
Chuck Stewart, Ph.D.
Executive Director •